Cheap Tools...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Cheap Tools...
From: Dave McCauley <cozypow@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 1999 15:02:23 -0600
There has been some discussion lately about cheap tools on the list
lately.  Today I found some justification for buying good tools (but not
necessarily the most expensive).  I was turning over my engine to build
up oil pressure for the first start up in about 1-1/2 years.  I removed
the spark plugs and the oil pressure came up just fine.

I decided to change the alternator/fan belt before I cranked up the
engine, just for good measure.  So I was loosening up the bolts on the
alternator bracket, and one of the nuts was really tight.  So I pushed
as hard as possible using my cheap a** open end wrench.  And a cresant
shaped protion of the wrench broke clean off, and bounced around like a
bullet.  I didn't see where it landed, it was moving too fast..  I know
it ricoched off the head at one point, now I can't find the broken
piece.  It may have gone into one of the open plug holes!!!  Its plenty
small enough, and I searched thouroughly for it! JUST MY LUCK!

So now because I was using an inferior tool I'm facing a head removal,
just to be sure.  There is no savings in cheap tools....

-dave-
"going off to buy some s-o open end wrenches..."