SU vs. Weber DGV carb

To: "'MG List'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: SU vs. Weber DGV carb
From: "Hutmacher, Greg" <ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 12:52:20 -0500
I have a 68 GT with the original SU carbs. Other than a Monza exhaust (which
I may opt to replace with a quieter system), it has no performance mods. I
am considering the option of converting to a Weber DGV downdraft conversion
and am hoping someone on the list can tell me how it compares to the SU's.
The main goal for me is ease of starting, cold running, smoothness and
general all around reliability.  Will the Weber DGV be superior to the SU in
these areas as their ads claim?  A secondary goal for me is performance
gain.  Will the single 2 barrel DGV deliver more fuel/air to the engine than
the dual SU's? And will the DGV gain me any additional horsepower at all
over the SU's? The old SU's run but may be worn out to the point of needing
major rebuild. A new pair of SU's looks to be about $400 (anyone have an
opinion on the new ones versus sending my old ones out for rebuilding) and
the Weber DGV conversion is about the same price. Thanks in advance, Greg
Hutmacher