Re: SU vs. Weber DGV carb

To: "Hutmacher, Greg" <ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com>,
Subject: Re: SU vs. Weber DGV carb
From: "Mike Lishego" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 19:38:05 -0500
I've used both on the same car and found a few plusses and minuses
for each carb.  The Weber had a very smooth idle, which gave a more
conventional exhaust note.  It also had a terrible stumble right off
idle.  There's nothing more irritating than nailing the gas and
having the car stumble before taking off.  IMHO, the SU's that I
have on now are much more powerful and, believe it or not, less of a
PITA than the weber was to set up.  The weber required fiddling with
the float level to try to get rid of that stupid stumble.  Each time
I adjusted it, the mixture was different too...

The SU's I have now are original for '74 and I love 'em.  They're a
good carb, very different looking, and almost fun to work on.  Now
that I've learned about tuning them, I have a smooth idle and good
all-around power.  Trip gas mileage is excellent, though my
around-town sucks (all of my trips are made before the car warms up
and drops off choke!)

You'd probably spend as much for a weber as you would for a good
rebuild of your SU's.  I'd advise you to stick with them.

Michael S. Lishego
http://www.mgb.bc.ca/virtualgarage/index.htm
-I