RE: SU vs. Weber DGV carb

To: "'MG List'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: SU vs. Weber DGV carb
From: "Andrew Errington" <ame@synaptics.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 10:15:27 -0800
Hi,

Peter Burgess claims in his book that the SU carbs are an excellent design,
and, properly tuned, are better than modern computer controlled fuel
systems.

You might find that your SU's would be acceptable if they were rebuilt, had
no air leaks and were properly set up.  The reason they often appear
impossible to tune is that they are in a poor state (usually because of the
age of the car).  Of course Weber's ad's will say how wonderful they are,
but don't believe everything you read (including the Burgess book).

I have a '69B, with twin HS4's.  I shall shortly be getting around to
playing with them.  Certainly can't make them any worse, I don't think
they've been touched for 30 years.

Andy