Possible source of grit in the oil

Subject: Possible source of grit in the oil
From: Tyson Sherman <mts3@ra.msstate.edu>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 12:31:50 -0600
Some of you may recall my sticking oil pressure relief valve troubles
that have plagued my 76 B most of this year.  Well I'm happy to report
it's running well again.  The valve still sticks a little.  But I have
found why.  There are little balls of metal (think of bird shot shotgun
bullets, or maybe shot-peening material) - VERY small, but perfectly
round.  They are jamming between the valve and its bore.

My question is:  1)  How did they get here; is there something in the
engine that just produces these, because I can't seem to get them out?
2)  How do I get them out?

I have flushed the engine several times, and unstick the valve as it
sticks.  I installed a magnetic drain plug.  But is that enough?  I
refuse to remove and tear down the engine again this year (already done
it twice, as the car has been broken more months than it has worked).
This is otherwise a great-running, good-looking and once extremely
reliable B.  In fact this sticking valve is about the only problem I've
had with it this year.  I just need to figure out how to get this out of
my engine.

Any ideas?  thanks.

--
Tyson Sherman