Re: 56K Line Speed?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 56K Line Speed?
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 18:41:38 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 15 Feb 1999, David Councill wrote:

> As a former employee of an ISP, I would be wary of "consistent" speeds.
> Some ISPs just have a speed echoed back that does not reflect true
> connection rate.

The connection speed reported by your PPP dialer or terminal software is
not "echoed back" by the ISP.  It is reported by your modem when the
connection is established.  However, you're correct that it isn't a
reliable indicator of performance.  It indicates only the initial
connection speed, but during the course of a typical online session the
speed will change upwards and downwards many times to cope with changing
line conditions. Your PPP dialer or terminal software can't show you those
constant speed changes, so most users aren't even aware that it is
happening.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO
fold@bcpl.net