RE: wires and tires

Subject: RE: wires and tires
From: "Andrew Errington" <ame@synaptics.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 14:30:07 -0800
> BTW, I'm in the market for new tires. I notice that British Wire Wheel is
> offering Avons and MIchelins in my prefered size (185-70/14). I have
> Michelins on my wife's Volvo and they seem okay. Is there a better tire?
> I drive my car every day, rain or shine and I'd like something with
> decent wet handling (It doesn't rain often here in San Francisco, but
> when it does, it rains a lot.) And a minimum of road noise. (My wife's
> tires seem to make a lot of noise over certain surfaces. I'd rather the
> tires not interfer with my "enjoyment" of the other noises the B makes.)
>
> Lastly, British Wire is also no longer open on Saturdays. I can't layup
> my car to dismount and ship my wheels/tires to them. And I'd rather not
> take a day off from work for the 6-hour round trip to Santa Cruz. I've
> heard horror stories about using just any tire shop. Any suggestions, if
> I were to go that route? Thanks in advance.

Hey, I didn't know that British Wire were shut on Saturday.  I relied on
that for the 4 new wheels I bought last year: can't get down there during
the week.

The guy at 'America's Tire Company', Mike, in Santa Cruz swears he knows
what he's doing with wire wheels, and that he has put tyres on wire wheels
from BWW and knows how to balance them and how to handle them without
damage.  I am considering taking him up on this (esp. since he is open on
Sat.) because I want a new wheel for a spare, and a cheap tyre to put on it.
He says he can get the wheel from BWW at a slight discount and get me a good
used tyre from his stock.  Of course, he's bound to say that to get the
business, but he did sound sincere (in fact more so than other tire shops I
spoke to "Oh, sure, wire wheels, we do them all the time").

Just to summarise: I have 4 72spoke 14x5" chrome/stainless wire wheels
(Dayton #714) with Yokohama A509 185/60R14 tyres.  I want a painted version
(cheaper) with the same size tyre for my spare.

Andy
--
'69 B