Re: MGB weak spark or the little engine that could...not start!

To: "Edwin Vaughan" <vaughme@mail.auburn.edu>,
Subject: Re: MGB weak spark or the little engine that could...not start!
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 15:38:55 -0000
A weak spark can be caused by a bad capacitor.  A bit difficult to do an
absolute check without a capacitance meter, but if you connect a spare plug
to the king lead from the coil and lay it on the block, turn on the ignition
and flick the points you should get a good fat spark at the plug.  However
if you interrupt the lead between the coil and the points you will only get
a weak spark at the plug.  The difference is the the effect the capacitor
has.  In your case, if you get the same spark with both methods then your
capacitor has had it.  Unfortunately, if your capacitor is only half bad you
will see a difference in the above tests, albeit not the full difference,
which you will only see with a known good capacitor.

PaulH.