Re: Clutch, 73 MGB, argh!

To: John Trindle <johnt@tsquare.com>
Subject: Re: Clutch, 73 MGB, argh!
From: Dave McCauley <cozypow@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 1999 23:29:22 -0600
John....

I had the same "intermittent" problem with my clutch at one time, it turned
out to be worn out throughout bearing.  The carbon had worn in the middle, but
left a ridge around the circumfrence, so at times when the ridge would hit the
clutch plate it would disengage, but other times when hit in the center it
would not.  This is likely to happen if you have slop in the bolt that the
fork pivits around, so you might want to check that....   The fact that your
engagement point is right off the floor also points to the through out
bearing...

Check the list wisdom on replacing it with one of those ball bearing types, I
think I heard that they tend to fail rather suddenly.  My experience is that
the carbon ones don't last as long as the clutch disk. I added a return spring
on the clutch fork to reduce wear, seems to have helped alot....  Good Luck..

cheers
-dave-