MGA as Workhorse

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGA as Workhorse
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 10:24:05 EST
 <<So today, to get things to the swap meet, my MGA was
carrying:
  2  Adult people
  3  Complete gearboxes
  1  Engine block & rear plate  etc.>>

I once picked up a spare Twincam engine, which if you have seen out of the car
is big and heavy, in my MGA. I took the passenger seat out and had the
complete engine lowered by hoist into the passenger compartment.
One thing about the cast alloy pan on a Twinkie - it sits a lot better than a
steel pan without the side bulges on it.

At the other end, I plucked it out with my own hoist. In between, I drove
_very_ carefully. The only occurence of note on the 50 mile trip was pulling
up at a light beside a bathtub Porsche (this was a while ago - Twinkie engines
no longer seem to fall into my lap). The 2 guys in it were giving me the once
over, as the Twincam engine stuck up above the door and looks pretty
impressive with the cam covers etc. As the light changed, I called over -
"Mid-engined model!". Unfortunately, I couldn't hear the reply.

Bill S.