Re: MG Radio

To: Philip Raby <mgworld@chp.ltd.uk>
Subject: Re: MG Radio
From: Graham McCann <gmccann@pcug.org.au>
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 08:57:46 +1100
At 11:06 am 1/3/99 +0000, Philip Raby wrote:
>>Say with new cars there is usaly a line of accesorys wich one can order
>>that have been customized to suit the look of the car, so for the listers
>>in the UK is there a specal radio/casset/CD player for the MGF with any
>>kind of markings that Identfy it as a MG? I would love to drop one in my B.
>
>Adam,
>
>Yes, the MGF comes with an MG-badged radio/cassette (CD player is
>optional). Sadly, it'd be no good in the US for two reasons.
>
>First, US radio stations don't support RDS (radio data system) which
>gives auto-tuning, station ID and traffic reports.
>
>Second, US FM station frequencies use 'odd' numbers (eg. 102.5) whereas
>UK ones use 'even' numbers (eg. 102.6): This means that the radio can
>never be exactly tuned to the station - I've come across this problem on
>a new VW Beetle imported from the US to the UK.
>
>Oh well, nice idea anyway ;-)
>
>Cheers,
>
>Philip Raby

The MGF in Australia comes out without radio and one is fitted here which
is also MG badged and meets our local AM/FM specifications.  It is
radio/cassette with CD capability.  There is also a badged CD unit which
fits in the boot in the same location as does the UK item.

The only downside is that the radio has a fairly poor reception, especially
on AM, and that is still the main radio sources outside large cities - and
there is a lot of Australia outside main cities.

Graham
97 MGF

Graham McCann  Rivett, ACT. Australia
gmccann@pcug.org.au