Re: MG Radio

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MG Radio
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 21:26:41 EST
In a message dated 3/1/99 10:08:15 PM !!!First Boot!!!, gmccann@pcug.org.au
writes:

> >First, US radio stations don't support RDS (radio data system) which
>  >gives auto-tuning, station ID and traffic reports.
>  >
>  >Second, US FM station frequencies use 'odd' numbers (eg. 102.5) whereas
>  >UK ones use 'even' numbers (eg. 102.6): This means that the radio can
>  >never be exactly tuned to the station - I've come across this problem on
>  >a new VW Beetle imported from the US to the UK.
>  >

The US does support RDS, although there aren't very many RDS stations yet.
Also an RDS radio can receive non-RDS stations just fine anyway. Are you sure
about the even number thing? Every European radio I've ever seen tunes odd and
even frequencies in 100KHz steps, (eg. 100.5, 100.6, 100.7 etc.). The problem
is with the AM band. The European AM frequency steps are 9 KHz whereas US are
10 KHz (eg. Euro: 1350, 1359, 1368, 1377, 1386   US: 1350, 1360, 1370, 1380).
There are only a few channels across the band that come out right. I work for
a large US auto radio manufacturer that exports radios all over the world.
I'll check on the UK FM channels. Maybe the Brits are on even channels only,
whereas Europe in general is on odd and even channels.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336