SU Efficiency

To: mgs@autox.team.net, autox.team.net.mgs@B-LEADS1
Subject: SU Efficiency
From: William Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 1999 21:27:58 -0600
This is the last post tonight I promise!  Between being on the road and
living through our annual budget process at work, I have not been able to
spend much time with the list and, once I started, I just couldn't stop!

As I stated in the last post, SU's, as used on our beloved MG's have no way
to compensate for engine loade.  For a given air flow, they mix the same
amount of fuel whether you are running no load at 3k or lugging at 1k rpm.

I have been looking at the HD6 carbs that came with a pile of Jaguar parts
that may or may not add up to a car.  The D stands for diaphram.  Before
anyone chips in with some dirty remark (where is Bob Allen anyway?) the
diaphram is part of a vacuum chamber attached to the jet.  Under high
vacuum, the jet is pulled up and leans the mixture.  This should allow for
more efficient cruising.  Has anyone done a back to back test with an HD
carb and a diaphram-less counterpart?

Now I am not  goig to mount a pair of HD6's on the A.  They look like the
added complexity would cost more in headache than I would save in fuel.
For instance, since the diaphram controls the jet, you can't pull it down
for cold start enrichment.  For this the Jag's use a "starting carb" which
is a solenoid controled, calibrated fuel leak into the manifold.  A more
elegant solution could have been found, don't you think?

Regards,
Bill Eastman
61 MGA with H4's- why mess with a winner?