B heater control valve ARRGH!

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: B heater control valve ARRGH!
From: Karl Shultz <karl.shultz@ibm.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 22:54:34 +0000
All...

I wish I'd left well enough alone.  Who needs heat?  Just got done (?)
replacing the heater control valve in my 73 B, which was conveninently
leaking coolant all over the distributor.  Pulled the dizzy and I'm
shocked that the car would even turn over.

So I pull the old valve off (which is a PITA to get a wrench onto BTW)
and noticed that the old one had no gasket.  Neither did the new one, so
I figured I'd just do what had been done by the factory and put it on
without.

So I start the car and there's this jet of coolant spewing out where the
valve meets the head.  Arrgh! It's as tight as I can get it.  The
cooling system is more or less full.  What I've done is put some seam
sealer around the thing so I can at least drive to the auto parts store
(we'll see how that works in about 30 minutes) so I can buy some gasket
material.  If it holds the coolant in I may just leave it like that; it
looks funky but it'll scrape off with a chisel one day.

So the questions...is this thing supposed to have a gasket?  And are
there any rticks to getting a wrench onto the thing, especially the
botton bolt?  My hands are bloodied from fooling with it and I lent my
daily driver to my mom for the week.

any insight on this would be highly appreciated...

--
Karl Shultz
95 Integra GS-R, black, loud