Re: Compression test- - -opinions needed (long)

To: Matt Milkevitch <milkm@mail.vt.edu>
Subject: Re: Compression test- - -opinions needed (long)
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 20:44:59 -0500

Matt Milkevitch wrote:

>               My question to the group:  opinions on these
> figures/data??  Does anyone have a "ballpark" idea on the ideal
> compression of an MGB 18V engine with 8.7:1 pistons??  Right now, I'm
> contemplating a teardown and putting new rings on, and would like to
> get the collective wisdom of the group.

Consider that your hotter camshaft with longer duration will allow some
of your compression to bled off at the speeds your engine is turning
with starter only.

Did you do a proper job of break-in for your new engine, and did you use
the proper oil?
Did you align your piston rings so that the ring gaps are properly
spaced from each other?

When you rebuilt your engine, did you have your bores checked?  If the
bores were not honed, there is the slight chance that your top ring hit
the ridge at the top of the bore and was damaged, but I would think it
would make some noise to let you know there is something wrong.

Have you since repeated the leakdown test to determine if you are still
losing compression to the crankcase?

Sorry I can't help more, but I'm just speculating.

Jay