Re: fuel pubp question

To: RUN262JOHN@aol.com
Subject: Re: fuel pubp question
From: David Ambrose <stargazer1@home.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 18:25:28 -0800
RUN262JOHN@aol.com wrote:

> Greetings from Savannah, Georgia:
>
> I recently tried to start my 1980 B  after parking it for about a month.  It
> will not start because there is no gas coming into the carb.  yes i have
> gas.....then I found out that the fuel pump was not original...PO put on a in
> line pump.  So...I bought an orginial pump and installed it.  I'm still not
> getting any gas at the carb.  The pump is making a lawnmower sound but not
> getting any gas to the carb.  This is the same problem the old nonorginal pump
> was doing before replacing.  What's wrong?  Am I missing something?

        Remove the fuel line from one of the carbs, and while holding a
container to catch the gas, have someone turn on the ignition. If you
don't get any gas, there is a clogged filter or a line between the pump
and the carb.

        If you do get gas, then the needle valves are stuck shut. Whacking the
carb bowl with a screwdriver handle may free them. Otherwise, you'll
have to take them off and use carb cleaner to remove the varnish which
is probably glueing them shut.

        This is a frequent problem with Grose Jets.

        Regards,
        Dave Ambrose