Oil Coolers

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Oil Coolers
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 1999 02:04:59 EST
<<Please give us (or me) your qualifications & experience regarding oil
coolers in a non- racing environment. I am sure the information will be
helpful. Racing experiences, while colorful & entertaining, have little
bearing on the subject of oil coolers for the daily or occasionally
driven cars I was referring to.>>

Sure. I have owned and worked on British cars for 30 years. I have owned
upwards of 60 cars, a dozen or so of which were MGs, including MGA 1500, MGA
1600, MGA 1600 Mk.2, ZB Magnette, MGA Twincams, MGB, MGC, and MG powered Riley
1.5s, and TVRs.  I have raced MGs for 26 of those years. I have built street
and race engines for various cars, 4, 6, and 8 cylinder, including many MGs
(and one Buick V8 engined MGA). I am down to only 4 MGs at the moment.

I stand by my statement that the MG engine (we are talking about B series, not
A or C, here) requires an oil cooler to ensure longevity, even in street
driving.  I formed this opinion from examination of engines both with and
without coolers, both on and off the street.  Apparently the factory agreed
with me.

Bill Spohn