Re: Oil Coolers

To: darby@tri-lakes.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil Coolers
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 02:11:07 EST
<< August is our
warmest month with daily high temps averaging about 95 F. The highest I've
seen the (Stewart-Warner) oil temperature gauge go is about 195F. It
normally runs 160F to 180F.
 Those are my half-baked observations on oil temp in my own MGB. YMMV.  >>

That's about what I would expect. Imagine the temp if you _didn't_ have a
cooler in summer.
In other words, the MG engines run the same temp with a cooler as many (most?)
engines run without one.
In competition use the temperatures are much greater and the stock oil cooler
is often inadequate.
The alternative for winter is a thermostatic valve, but I agree that just
taping it up is easier and cheaper.

Bill