Re: Oil Coolers

To: <WSpohn4@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Oil Coolers
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 10:40:59 +1100
This argument is easily solved. Buy an oil temperature gauge, install
it and report the findings to the list for a B driven in "normal use"
(whatever
that is). Please also tell us what the average ambient temperature is.

Seriously, if your driving style and the weather around where you are
are likely to result in an engine which runs quite hot, then an oil cooler
is a cheap and worthwhile investment. Oil that is too hot breaks down
and not only provides inferior lubrication but acidic by-products. So
an oil cooler can be well worth it. If you aren't sure you can put in an
oil temp gauge!

Note that 100% synthetic oils exhibit this breakdown at significantly
higher temps.

Mike