Re: Hardtop questions

To: Nory P <nory_midget@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Hardtop questions
From: David Sylvain <niosh@pop.ma.ultranet.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 20:44:37 -0500
At 12:10 PM 3/18/99 -0800, Nory P wrote:

>Now that I've unpacked my new/used hardtop, I have a few questions:
>
>1.  Sanding:  I know nothing about working with fiberglas- Do I sand
>out the scratches, just like any other material?  If I used a power
>sander on it, do I have to be concerned about generating
>heat/warping/melting/???

Nory,
 I don't know anything about hardtops per se, but if it is fiberglass (and
not some other plastic), sanding is probably not the way to remove
scratches.  In fiberglass, the color is only in the gelcoat, which is a
very thin layer on top of the fiberglass layup.  I'd be afraid sanding
would remove the gelcoat and the color.  When I had a fiberglass boat, I
used one or more of the polishes made by Meguiar to bring a shine to the
gelcoat.  There are also tubes of gelcoat touchup stuff in various colors
that can be used to fill gouges or deep scratches.

Dave Sylvain
72 B