Re: 72 midget, burning oil? Rebuild?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 72 midget, burning oil? Rebuild?
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 12:08:53 +0000
Barry wrote:

> To all on the list who have helped me so far, thank you.  About it
> coming out of the tail pipe, it IS out of the tail pipe, I had my dad
> rev the engine and it was billowing out of the pipe.
>
> I think I'm just going to do valve guides, check the head for warp,
> and put new oil rings in.

Yep, Barry... you would have seen me trying to find ANY other reason for
*my* smoke but in the end I just had to concede... RINGS!  While I was
there I found mushed conrod bearings and the badly installed valve-stem
seals.  So after a mini-rebuild she is now feeling better and stronger
than ever... and ... NO SMOKE... not even a whisp.

Originally I thought that the bad PCV valve was the cause.  It was
probably the cause of chewing though as much oil as I was but as always
there was another problem being masked by this.  When I removed
(bypassed/replaced) the PCV valve my oil consumption improved
dramatically... bewdy, BUT.. the smoke kept coming... you should have
seen it when I hit 60mph - yes, James Bond would have been envious.

So... broken rings in #2 (even though #3 was showing down in the
compression test - go figure).  Cylinder slightly scored but not
tragically.

This all goes to show that wishful thinking doesn't always work :-)
Just go for it!  Of course never stop asking questions to see if you
have missed something in your logic but in the end you will probably be
right anyway - better safe than sorry.

Regards,

Eric