Re: MGB V-8 wire wheels

To: jimbb88@erols.com
Subject: Re: MGB V-8 wire wheels
From: drded@ix.netcom.com
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 20:09:46 -0600 (CST)
On 03/21/99 20:02:15 you wrote:

>Thank you Mike.
>
>Since the Factory V-8 cars came with very strong alloy wheels, the
>conventional wisdom is that the mighty V-8 was too much for wires.
>Certainly, it  is an individual situation, dependent upon how the car is
>to be driven.
>
>I have seen several V-8's with wire wheels over the past 8-10 years of
>shows & such, but none were the stock MGB wheels. The 72 spoke (?) - I
>was never good at counting spokes- on heavy duty centers & first class
>splines are probably fine. If the Ferrari uses them.....
>
>Jim Stuart
>
>2 V-8's, looking for a donor car for the 3rd, still no sense

It just so happens I was down at Glen Towery's place yesterday. He was showing
some pics of a V8
conversion he had done that had 72 spoke wires. I was surprised and expressed
my concern about
spline wear. He then told me that they were bolt on wires and that he would
never build a V8 MGB
fitted with knock offs.

BTW this was my first off Long Island run with my 74 BGT and was real nice to
get out and about
few a few hundred miles. Next Friday I get to run my 75 B roadster a couple a
hundred to pick up
Adam (son) from college for spring break. With a little luck, weather and time
wise, we'll
hopefully get a refreshed power plant in his 72 roadster during the break.
Safety Fast,
David Deutsch