SU's draw blood but I win; a couple questions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: SU's draw blood but I win; a couple questions
From: dresden@tiac.net
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 20:29:15 -0500 (EST)
Hi All,

One nice thing about the list is that there are a lot of people out there
who have what you need; rather than fuss with things like broken screws
stuck in float bowls you can have another serviceable part for a near
pittance. (Thanks Lawrie; your check is in the mail). If you need
something, make sure that you ask the list (in this case, I didn't ask, it
was suggested to me, but a good suggestion).

I also had some very stuck needles; sitting overnight after spraying with
my favorite penetrant, and then some tapping, twisting, and one big yank
with the vice grips, got them out. One note for the novice; be careful when
yanking these out, as they might come out quicker than you expect and poke
a hole in your forehead, and you need that like you need a...never mind.
The old adage to always push away from yourself is often ignored and often
with regret. Not that I speak from experience, mind you...

I'm hoping to get these done by the end of this weekend, and if the weather
isn't too cold, to start some bodywork while I'm getting a list of parts
together in order to finish this conversion.

A question: I remember that there is some difference between vacuum
advance/retard, etc, between the early and later model cars. All I know
about the distributor currently in my '78 B is that it is not original, it
is an earlier Lucas model which uses points. How do I get a more definite
ID on it, and how does the vacuum stuff go together? Is it just manifold to
vacuum unit? My misplaced Moss catalog would be handy right now; I've
searched the Haynes for a solution but can't find much.

Also, what is everyone running SU's on later B's doing about the hoses that
once went to the Z/S water choke? Is just joining them together to run
straight through the best/cheapest solution?

Thanks,

Nevin
'78 B in hibernation (metamorphosis?)