TFs

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: TFs
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 11:06:47 EST
<<Well, of course, you have to realise that comment applied only to the
extremely rare 1953 TF. When the MG company actually introduced the TF, in
1954, it was quite a nice little sports car, and in 1955, with the 1500 cc
engine, it was even quicker.>>

Very quick, Lawrie, which is more than I can say for the TF, whether 1500 or
not, and even if made during the proper time period.

I wouldn't classify the change to 1500 as making it "quicker" so much as
nudging it ever so slightly closer to what had rather swiftly become the new
standard of performance in 1954. In other words, the TF was indeed behind the
times, in the company of the new AH 100, and the TR 2, both of which I have
owned, and both of which very badly out-perform it.

Even the MGA, with it's superior handling, and IMO at least, better styling
than it's competitors (although the Healey 100 is certainly a lasting style,
much better than the later 6 cylinder cars, again, IMHO) was barely quick
enough, with the 1500 being under powered, the 1600 barely adequate, and the
Mk 2 better, but not by as much as it could have been as a result of the
lowered diff ratio.

IMHO, of course.

Bill S.