Master Cylinder - Epilogue

To: MGList <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Master Cylinder - Epilogue
From: Ray Wygonik <rwygonik@grove.iup.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 13:14:38 -0500
Does anyone remember whenTV shows had epilogues?  I guess I am dating
myself.

Anyways, for anyone who is still interested or cares, the final chapter of
my Advance Auto $35.99 master cylinder replacement.

I had the car into a local reputable foreign car shop for its' annual
mechanical inspection required here in PA and I asked them to look at the
brakes.  THey agreed the MC was bad.  Though I was getting fluid to the rear
when bleeding, they said there was no pressure.  I picked up a free lifetime
replacement from Advanced Auto on Saturday and installed.  The new rebuilt
cylinder seems to be working fine, the hard pedal is gone and I can lock up
all 4 wheels (which I couldn't do with the other MC).
The second time around it took about 2 hours to replace the MC, including
bleeding brakes and clutch.  Still one job I don't care for.

There is one thing that is curious and unexplained.  When I replace the MC
the first time, the brakes locked up on me after about 10 miles.  THat was
after I took the car out and tested the brakes a number of times.   I
dropped the car into first and hit the gas to move it from infront of the
MAC machine where it was stuck and the brakes freed up with no more
problems.  Drove it for 2 weeks before I put the second MC in.

Saturday I installed the new MC, took the car out and thoroughly tested the
brakes and Sunday my son took the car to a soccer game and the brakes locked
on him.  In moving the car again to get it out of the way they freed up and
appear to be ok.  Put about 50 miles on after that yesterday with many hard
stops and no additional problems.  Had previously checked front cylinders
and pads and everything appeared to move easily.  I may pull all the wheels
again to check for problems, but that may not be for a couple of weeks.
Sounds like a question for Click & Clack, the Tappet Brothers.