Re: Re-tuning

To: Scott Regel <SRegel@dpra.com>
Subject: Re: Re-tuning
From: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 14:51:43 -0800
Word on the street is that Scott Regel said:
>I'm pretty new to the list.  I bought a 76B for X'mas.  I had two 63's twenty
>years ago (one 1600 and the other 1800)...couldn't fight the itch anymore and
>caught the wife at the right time!

Welcome back then!  A 1600?  B's have always been 1800cc.

>The PO had taken all the smog equipment off
>before he tried to put it on the road in Virginia.  Long story short, he had
>the car down tuned to get past VA emissions.  Fortunately for me in Maryland,
>the car isn't required to pass emissions any more.  The problem is the PO was
>in the military and now is some where oversea's.  I'm not sure what he did to
>the car, but it is alittle slugish.

Advance the timing until the car starts to ping a bit under load, then
retard it slightly so you don't have pinging.  Check the plugs to get
an idea of the mixture (they should be tan coloured - white is too lean,
fouled is too rich).  Set the valve clearance while you're at it.

>Oh, I never had OD before.  Does the switch go forward to engage the
>OD (don't want to trash such a great feature).

Drive in 3rd or 4th and flick it back and forth, you will figure it out.
There should be an override that keeps the OD from engaging in rev/1/2 so
no worries about damaging it.  You don't need to use the clutch when
turning the OD on or off, but you may want to if it makes the car "clonk".

Skye

--
1966 MGB        The MGB Experience         __,__\__      Safety Fast!
GHN3L-70307     http://www.mgb.bc.ca/     (_o____o_)     MGOFR 1.375