Re: Original Equipment Radios NOW Requirement to Post to List

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Original Equipment Radios NOW Requirement to Post to List
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 14:57:16 +1000
Hi all,

>participants to turn of the "quote previous message" option on their
>email software.  This would save a lot of reading time and bandwidth.  I

Actually, the correct ettiquette is to cut and paste small, relevant
portions of the Email you are referencing. That way people can see exactly
what is is your are replying to. It is simply bad (Internet :) manners to
requote an entire message, especially at the bottom of an Email, where you
have made no specific reference to a line in that Email. It only takes a few
seconds to cut that requoted message out of your reply - try highlighting
the text, SHIFT key and Arrows, then hit CTRL-X. That will cut the unwanted
text. If you want to copy a portion use CTRL-C to copy and CTRL-V to paste
it where you need it, then cut away the text you don't need.

This requoting of entire messages generates a huge amount of wasted
bandwidth! I run a few mailing lists, and this would be the #1 cause of
traffic. Y'see if this list had a 1000 members, and your Email was 1K, it
would generage 1 Meg of Traffic. Now most Emails are around 3K, so if that
Email became 6K, then you would be talking about 6 Meg of traffic each time
someone posted to the list! This costs the list owner real $$$. Now how many
messages does the list send out a day...?? 50*6*1000=300 megs! People have
to pay for this bandwidth, so I think we should all learn how to cut and
paste!!

IMHO of course!

Cheers,
Neil.