Re: MGB Clutch Hydraulics

To: bswearingen@nfco.com
Subject: Re: MGB Clutch Hydraulics
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Apr 1999 22:37:00 EDT
Brian,
  DOT 3 and 4 work equally well in the clutch. You did no harm by
switching to 3.
  The problem is most likely that you have introduced some air into the
system and it's the air that is keeping the clutch from working.
Bleeding the clutch can be easy at times and a frustrating job at other
times.  Note that I asked earlier tonight  for help with my brake MC, and
I've rebuilt at least a dozen MCs without being stumped before.
  One suggestion recently made to a question about clutch bleeding was to
prop the clutch pedal down to the floor with a piece of wood, then open
the bleeder screw, filling the MC and leaving it until drips came from
the bleeder.  Another was to do the best you could, then leave it alone
overnight and see if it hadn't improved itself overnight.  #2 has worked
for me on the clutch, several times.
Bob