Re: lacquer or enamel and why?

To: Mikecquinn@aol.com
Subject: Re: lacquer or enamel and why?
From: Larry Dickstein <bugide@tfs.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 09:14:11 -0500

Mikecquinn@aol.com wrote:

> Thanks for all the good advice on Maaco. It seems like the general feeling is
> not to use Maaco.

Maaco, or like places are not bad.  You just get what you pay for.  I guess that
the $400 you pay there would usually buy the sandpaper, primers, and a few other
things to get you started for a real paint job.  Keep in mind that that is only
the beginning.  The cars at the shows that are really nice have many hundreds of
hours (and thousands of dollars) in the prep and paint.  Actually, the paint is
the cheapest part of the whole operation.  Keep in mind that if there is a flaw
in the primer, it will show when your through.  Paint will cover anything!!!!

>  But in the article Art Pfenninger says to paint lacquer.

Lacquer is lots cheaper than the acrylics.  Another reason is that it is a lot
more forgiving than acrylics.  For a first time painter, it would be the way to
go.  Hot rodders used lacquer for years (some still do) because the shine is
amazing.  The downside is that you have to have many, many coats and each will
have to be color sanded and buffed i.e., hours/dollars

>  -

Larry Dickstein
Lone Jack, MO