Noise from engine compartment

To: "'MG NUTS'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Noise from engine compartment
From: Edwin Vaughan <vaughme@mail.auburn.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 14:16:40 -0500 (CDT)
Hello All,

Yesterday afternoon I pulled into my drive way, shut off my '77 MGB and
noticed a sound like a table saw makes when the power is shut off (kind of
a slinnngggg chang chang chang). I thought something might be fouling one
of the pulleys. I popped the hood and found nothing. I started the car up
and shut it off again....no sound. This morning after driving the car 10
minutes, maybe, I shut it off and the sound was there, just muted. Again
this afternoon, after driving for about 10 min., I shut the car off, it
ran-on or dieseled for a couple seconds and the sound was more chunky. The
alternator is not loose and the fan pulley is not loose. What could this
sound be?

TIA,

Edwin
'77 B

"I try to think but nuthin' happens"|       The MG Filling Station
       -- Curly (the stooge)        |   http://www.auburn.edu/~vaughme