Re: Springs

To: Jason Dutt <jason@markerman.com>
Subject: Re: Springs
From: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 1999 11:25:03 -0400

Jason Dutt wrote:

> About ride heights:  Something else I've noticed is it seems as the rear
> springs tend leave the car too high for their rating, the front springs seem
> to tend to run low.  I can't say this for sure, because the rear end is
> still a bit too high, putting extra weight on the front.  However, unless
> the "stock" front springs come up about 3/4" after I get the rear down, I'd
> say they're a bit too low.

Our MGBV8 conversion has the shortened front springs with stock rear
springs.  While the advertised drop in ride height was approximately one
inch, we got quite a bit more than that.  I would venture to guess that
it's more on the order of 2".  I measured the height of the cowling
directly in front of the radiator on my '70 B, my recently sold '65 B,
and little bro's '78 BV8 and his was about 1" lower than the other
cars.  It handles like a monster, but we still need to resolve bump
steer (anyone have a solution?  I was thinking of putting the tie-rods
on the top of the arm, instead of the typical under the arm arrangement)

Take care
Jay

--
When you were born you cried