Re: seatbelt recall

To: mkris@sprynet.com
Subject: Re: seatbelt recall
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 18:51:47 EDT
Chris,
  This is true, to a point, and I do not suggest that a company is
without responsibility for its products.  But, in this case, the company
that is stuck with the recall issue is not the company that built the
vehicles. And, since the point of this all is that it's a safety issue,
an owner concerned about safety of his passenger and himself should have
swapped out the belts years ago.  Retractors are not essential, they're
simply conveniences. Having working belts is essential.
  Recall bulletin #J85/z/K is reproduced in Norman Nock's book, TechTalk.
Dated September 1985, it describes how the retractors are sensitive to
rapid movement of the belts  (as properly they should be) and notes that
some owners tended  to pull out the belts faster than the sensitive
mechanisms permit.  One questions that this is, indeed, a fault.  The
point is made that some owners do not use the very safety item that was
provided for them.
  So one asks, where is there a "fault"?  Have these been recalled not
because they did not work, but because they worked too well?  Was this a
recall based on actual deficiencies in operation of the safety device?
At this time it is difficult to say.  My experience with the belts is
that they funtioned exactly as MG said in the bulletin that they would.
That they were more sensitive and protective of my bony body than the
belts in my other vehicles I always assumed was a good thing.  Had I not
felt that way, they would have been replaced immediately.  And, yes, they
have been replaced since, as I do believe that 20+ year old webbing has
lost much of its strength.
Bob