Re: weber manifold

To: "'Oracle of MG'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: weber manifold
From: "Kulka, Matt" <Matt.Kulka@hboc.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jun 1999 13:43:07 -0400
Reminds me of a Baja bug I used to have.  It had the 1800 cc big bore kit
and a two barrel Zenith (downdraft) carb.

It had no engine cover, and so very little ambient heat near the air cleaner
or intake manifold.  One evening crossing a mountain pass in cold weather,
it just ran worse and worse.  When we got to the other side, I saw that the
manifold had a coating of frost on the outside.  I assume that the air
rushing through it was so cold that it chilled the metal, caused this
frosting, and had some nasty effect on the intake charge.  Maybe the cold
ruined atomization?

In any case, the solution was to take one of the heater output hoses and run
it into the top of the air cleaner, so any time the cabin heat was on, the
engine would get some too.  Worked like a charm.

Matt Kulka
Huntersville, NC
'74 B - Which has too much exhaust pipe heat.  VW didn't have a bad idea,
just the wrong car.