Temp Guage etc - MGA

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Temp Guage etc - MGA
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 13:52:06 +1000
Hi all,

Started to fix a few minor things on the A over last weekend, also *finally*
located the cause of my inconsistent idle - butterfly on front carb is not
closing, so it will have to come off for a check. MPITA, so I will wait a
while as she's driving pretty nicely at the moment.

To the temp guage - the day my A overheated, the temp guage crapped out -
due to the heater wire coming loose and bonding itself to the sender cable,
it seems to have somehow fried the guage. This is a dual oil pressure/water
temp guage and the oil pressure still works but the water temp does not.

Can some one give me some advice on what to do here, is the guage toast or
is it possible to repair - if so, what would be the problem, what has all
those amps done to it?

My heater now works, but appears to be useless until after about 1/2 hour,
even then it's useless over 50mph! Oh well... :)

Cheers,
Neil.
--
Neil Cotty - Sydney, Australia
1970 MG B GT        / 1961 MG A 1600 Mk1 / 1956 AH 100 BN2