Re: Temp Guage etc - MGA

To: "Barney Gaylord" <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Subject: Re: Temp Guage etc - MGA
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 13:33:45 +1000
Barney & All,

Thanks for the info, I do believe the capilliary has a hole in it on closer
inspection - I've just been talking to Olympic Instruments in Sydney (+61 2
9449 9888) who repaired my B's speedo a long while back and they replace the
capilliary and some other things I forget the name of for about $75.00 AUD,
if it requires a new Bulb & Nut it goes to around $110 max. Pretty good
value I think, so I'll take it off tomorrow and send it to them to get
fixed.

As for the thermostat, it's brand new and so is the Heater control valve. My
heater is not 100% all there, from what I can see of the pictures of a
proper heater installation. I don't have the heater cover that goes on the
dashboard showing you how to use it, never have had it. Also there are no
pull cables to operate, I guess, the heat outlet flap under the dash board
and to alter the large valve at the front of the heater itself which I
presume regulates the flow of air into the heater assembly. Now can someone
tell me how that works? Does the flap have to be CLOSED to get the most heat
as the fan is doing all the work, and open to get cold air through the
heater and reduce the heat produced or is it the other way around? I guess
with the flap fully open and the large valve/baffle thingy open/fan off this
gives you cool air flow through.. At the moment the baffle/vavle is sort of
wired in it's fully opened position. God knows what happened to the heater
control cables but in a 40yr old car.. well who knows!

Bob Howard mentioned the core could be blocked, I will check this as it's
highly likely. You should have seen the old heater control valve!! Bloody
'ell, it was so corroded that water couldn't even pass into it! I won't talk
about the remains of old thermostat I found in the head. Not enough left of
it to even do an autopsy! lol!

'tanks List. :)

Cheers,
Neil.
--
Neil Cotty - Sydney, Australia
1970 MG B GT        / 1961 MG A 1600 Mk1 / 1956 AH 100 BN2