Re: Pinging, compression ratio, and advance....

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Pinging, compression ratio, and advance....
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 08:40:24 -0700
Hmm, my observation would be that the compression reading is rather
higher than one would expect. This would correlate with pinging. When was
the head off last? You may have carbon buildup in the combustion
chambers. If this is a newly built engine, I'd say you overdid the head
planing and need to consider octane booster additives (or a fat head
gasket). My stock motor '66 (which hasn't been tuned lately, I have to
admit) runs like a champ at 14 deg. BTDC more or less, on 92 octane
unleaded. But I would expect mine would have about 150 lbs compression if
I checked it. Even then, during a period of driving mostly short trips
last fall, it started pinging a little, but so far this year it's mostly
been 40-50 mile freeway blasts at off-peak hours, and it seems to thrive.

Pearson, Tim had this to say:

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149