Re: fuel pump

To: <MGS%AUTOX.TEAM.NET@mvdns1.mv.Unisys.COM>
Subject: Re: fuel pump
From: PHILIPPE TUSLER <TUSLER@mp050.mv.unisys.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 16:02:02 -0700 (PDT) (23:02 UT)
>I just installed a new SU fuel pump in my 76 B, and got...nothing.  No
 clicks, no gas.
 Checked the electric: the current is good (checked in the trunk, power and
< ground). Tapping on the pump did nothing.  Any ideas?

 Silly question: are you sure of the ground?  Since early MGs were
positive ground, your pump could be designed for positive ground.
By 76, I'm pretty sure MGs were negative ground, so that could be
a problem.
If the pump is a rebuild, the points could be badly installed, or the
diaphragm shaft could be misadjusted.  If it's turned in too much or
too little, the points won't click over.  The Haynes manual has a good
section on rebuilding pumps.  However, if you just bought it, take it
back for another....

*Philippe Tusler - Mission Viejo, CA     | "MILOU"    '57 MGA Roadster *
*                                        | "TINTIN"   '66 MG/MGB-GT    *
*InterNet: Philippe.Tusler@Unisys.Com    |  N/A       '88 ISUZU Trooper*