Re: MG motor info

To: <ScotieMac@aol.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MG motor info
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 12:42:09 -0700
Scott -

You're right, that's very odd.  It makes a difference, however, because
if Steve is right (which I don't believe mainly because the number is too
high -- G engine numbers only run up to 31121) you have a 3 main bearing
block (not necessarily desirable in your 67), and if I had been right it
was a 5 main bearing engine of nearly correct vintage. According to
Clausager, the only engine series which would have numbers as high as
43400 were 18GB (but the WE would again be incorrect), 18GH (my guess),
18GJ (same but for California only), and 18V-883 (which you wouldn't
confuse with an earlier engine).

Does the engine show any sign of having been rebuilt? The engine number
tag doesn't survive chemical tanking -- unless it is removed first and
replaced, one has to have a new tag stamped -- perhaps the rebuilder
missed a digit (H?) or added an incorrect code (such as WE)...

... a mystery...

ScotieMac@aol.com had this to say:

--

Max Heim