MG

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MG
From: walter menge <walter.menge@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 99 21:04:16 Central Daylight Time
I am of the opinionThe 18 G engine that has caused so much conversation is in
fact a  metroplitan engine.
The 18 GB was used in the B from 7 1962 to 1964 in the B and other cars. If the
tac gear is on the left rear
of the engine block I think it was in a MGB and if there isn't a tac gear I
would think it was used in the
metropolitan or another car. The pilot shaft bushing in the rear of the crank
shaft will not fit the 72 B
transmission 1st motion shaft. If you buy bearings for the crank shaft you
would be wise to measure the
diameter of rod and main journals and subtract any  that has been turned
previously. This is the last of the 3
main engines and you would be wise to check if the fly wheel and transmission
adapter plate for this engine
will work with the transmission for the B. The 1500 A and the 1622 A have
different adapter plats to locate
the starter in varyin positions. The flywheel for the B mounts differently to
the crankshaft than the one to the
18 G engine. If the 18 G engine has the gear for the tac on left rear I would
be interested in buying it more
than if the gear isn't there. I will discuss this more in detail should any one
wish to E-mail with specific
questions. The big problem is to make the transmission bolt to the adsapter
plate ad the transmission pilot
shaft fit the pilot shaft bushing and the fly wheel not the proper diameter. I
have a engine that was used in the
72 B.
I have over 30 years experience working on the British cars owning Foreign Cars
and Parts at 2004 Guillory
St. Westlake Louisiana 70669 (The Sportsman's Paradice)
I repair cracked heads and blocks,  either aluminum or cast iron. I have many
new and used parts, some are
rather hard to find and many that only dealers sold. I build tow bars for
towing many of the British cars.
I know this is long, but there is one other question. Have you ever wondered
why the British don't make
computers?---They haven't found a way to make them leak oil. Please take no
offence, Just work harder to
solve the problem. I am always glad to hear from any one any time.
Walter.Menge@gte.net  Thanks