Re: PA plates

To: DOUGLAS_RUSSELL@yr.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: PA plates
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 11:37:37 EDT
Okay, Dr. Doug, here we go.  I get REALLY fed up with the way notaries
interpret the law!  You are completely at their mercy.  Say one wrong thing
and they get even by hitting you in the pocketbook.  (Rant mode off.)

Here is the EXACT wording from PA form MV11.  It leaves A LOT open to
interpretation.

"Antique vehicles operated exclusively between sunrise and sunset are exempt
from the normal lighting requirements of the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code, but
must have their orginal lighting equipment.  Antique vehicles are not subject
to the annual vehicle safety inspection."

It actually says nothing about restricting operation to between sunrise and
sunset.  It could be interpreted as meaning that if you have a vehicle that
meets the lighting requirements of the Pennsylvania Vehicle Code, you may use
that vehicle after dark.  It could also mean that if you have a vehicle that
is over 25 years old and you have modified the lighting in any way, you can
not have antique tags.  It does not address specific lighting on any car.

What if you modify the lighting?  Then does the car have to meet the lighting
requirements of the PA Vehicle Code?  That's what it says...sort of.

(Rant mode on)

I guess that's why we have lawyers.  (Most notaries are NOT lawyers, and
should not be interpreting the law.)

In several transactions with different notaries in the past few years, I have
learned which ones are would-be lawyers, and should be avoided.  PA requires
proof of insurance to register a car.  One notary requires proof of insurance
on the car you are trying to register before he will do the paperwork.  Most
others just want to see that you have an insurance card in your name on any
car.

Since PA changed the tax law to require paying tax on the fair-market value
of the car, rather than the actual purchase price, I have seen this
interpreted several ways.  The above mentioned notary looks the car up in the
NADA book and you pay tax on that value.  If it isn't listed, you pay tax on
$500.00!  (Most exotic Italian cars are not listed, BTW.)  Go to another
notary and they ask what you paid, no proof required, and you pay the tax on
that amount.  (Just did it last week.)

You got me going good that time, Doug.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport

In a message dated 7/2/99 10:48:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time,