MGA rear wing questions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGA rear wing questions
From: bburrows@webtv.net (Betty Burrows)
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 1999 10:20:49 -0400 (EDT)
I would appreciate if someone could answer these questions about the
rear wings on an MGA roadster:

Can the wings be removed without drilling out (or defeating) spot (or
other) welds?  I can see the bolts along the top, and it is clear they
must come out.  But is the wing welded to the shell near the doors?  I
know the front wings can just be unbolted, but I need help re the rears.

The MGA body I am looking at has a large hole (irregular in shape, but
perhaps between three and five square inches) rusted through the front
portion of the left rear wing at the _TOP_ (where the flat area is).  I
expect to find rust at the bottom (this body is good there), but this
rust pattern is something I have not seen before.  Any comments you
might have would help me.  The visible damage could probably be
repaired, and at worst (depending on the answer to my first question) I
could fit a new (used) wing.  But my concern goes to damage I cannot
see, not to the wing but to hidden portions of the shell.  I cannot
envision how or why severe rust could occur at this location on a
roadster.  The rest of the body (that which is visible) looks fairly
good.

TIA for any words of wisdom you can offer.

Betty