Re: MG Sightings - Chicago

To: twagner@pdq.net, apfau@ismi.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MG Sightings - Chicago
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 05:52:59 EDT
In a message dated 7/5/99 6:43:56 PM Central Daylight Time, twagner@pdq.net
writes:

<< I drive mine all the time to and from work
 on I-45 in Houston.  Granted it is not a
 TD or older, but none the less it is a
 67 B.

 I still enjoy the many head turns that I get
 and the stupid ones that ask what year it
 is when I have license plates from "1967"
 on it....Duhhhhh.....

 Will continue to drive it till I am 6' under....
 then maybe my boys will enjoy it as much
 as I have.

 Tom Wagner >>

Tom,

I got a personalized license plate ("73 MG") for my B a few years ago. I also
marveled at the folks still stopping me to asked "what year is that?" I
finally realized that most of them see the plate and ignore it. They are just
trying to start up a conversation because they like the car so much they are
even willing to risk looking a bit stupid to do it. It's really a great
complement.

Maybe both of us need to get a different personalized plate number.

Incidentally, I drive mine daily too. Very reliable except for last month
when I had to be towed home (a first time in 14 years). I reported to this
group that the plug in one end of the intake manifold fell out. I think if I
hadn't had my three year old daughter with me, I'd have looked a little
longer and might have seen the problem rather than calling a tow truck on my
cell phone.

If I'd have known what was wrong I would have used a cork or something and
got the damn thing home under it's own power. Unfortunately, I mis-diagnosed
the problem to be a slipped timing chain. A couple of days later when I was
about to pull the radiator and get started fixing it, I saw a 5/8" hole
staring at me.

Add a cork to your emergency spare parts in the boot along with that crazy
three-legged radiator hose. Can you imagine going into a gas station looking
for one of those???

R. Johnson - Dallas