Re: Let's try again

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Let's try again
From: Lane Rollins <laner@teleport.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 09:39:28 -0700
>On the topic of temp gauges I have never trusted mine either, you just get
>a feel for where it likes to be.  In my '71, the engine is warm once the
>needle is 1/4 the way between C and N and the radiator (50/50
>Water/Antifreeze) will boil just before the needle in the gauge reaches N.
>I think the best use for the gauge is to pull it and put a voltmeter in.
>I haven't done this but I have a voltmeter in my center console and it is
>the most usefull gauge I have.
>
>James Nazarian
>'71 B
>"74 BGT (soon to be V8)

You do have some control over the electric temp guages! When I first got
the 70B it's temp guage was like your 71. Take the guage out of the dash
and look at the back of it, there are two holes. Inside you will see two
arms that come from the top center and point to the lower outside edges.
These control the limits of
the guage.  You need to push the one on the high side out farther. What I
did was... connect a clip lead from the guage to the dash or any metal part
of the car to get a ground so that the guage will work out of the dash.
Then I stuck a good old meat thermomemter down the neck of the radiator
(yes it lives in the garage now) and started the car up, once I got the car
up to temp you can then adjust the guage with some amount of accuracy,
maybe not a lot but it will be a lot better then it was.

I got the basic info from a piece out of  a collection of NAMGBR articles.

-Lane