Re: Let's try again

To: "Thomas James Pokrefke, III" <pokrefke@netdoor.com>,
Subject: Re: Let's try again
From: Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 14:36:55 -0400

>I forgot who posted about the MG with the electric cooling fan, now returned
>to the mechanical fan.  this spring, I made some 'performance' improvements
>to my 'B.  I put in Bosch platinum plugs, high capacity wires, and some
>bright yellow performane coil.  I also put my electric fan on, complete with
>a switch that mounts in the top radiator hose.
That was me.

>I've been driving the MG more frequently, and have been concerned about the
>temperature guage hanging out around 75% of the way to 'H'.  I've never
>trusted the temp guage, though.  When I first got the car, being a college
>kid and thinking my money could be better spent elsewhere, I put a rheostat
>in between the sensor and guage.  I adjusted the rheostat using an optical
>thermometer dad borrowed from work.  To be quite honest, I never actually
>knew what my engine temp was.
>
>Reading the post about changing back to the mechanical fan (was that you
>Macy?), I thought I might better find out.
That was still me.

>Thomas James Pokrefke, III
>1970 MGB  (Puff, the Magic Dragon)
>pokrefke@netdoor.com
So what is your conclusion? The electric or the belt driven one? I am
still contemplating going back the the electric or a new one. Biggest
problem I had - no room between the nose of the pulley on the waterpump
and the rad to maake it a "puller" design. I think that would help a lot.
If I can make sure what temp the gauge is actually reading.

Larry

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Keep your top down and your chin up