Re: vancouver update (long)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: vancouver update (long)
From: Craig Perry <cperry@fw.waterpik.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 14:16:17 -0600
Rick. Larry and all,
Larry is right, fantastic scenery if you go that way! It's actually the Highest
Continuous Paved Road int the US.  I live in Ft. Collins, in northern CO, and
regularly drive my '69 B into Rocky Mountain National park. Not sure of your
route, but from Grand Junction go east on I-70. At Glenwood Springs you have a
decision to make. You can turn off here and go to Aspen, then on to Leadville
over Independence Pass, then from Leadville back to I-70 at Copper Mountain,
and continue east on I-70. Beautiful scenery!!! If you stay on I-70 at Glenwood
Springs, you can drive through Glenwood Canyon, about a 10-12 mile jaunt
through one of the prettiest canyons you can drive through!  Put the top down!
At any rate, you will end up at the same place to get off I-70 to get to Rocky
Mountain,  that being the Silverthorne exit. Head north from Silverthorne to
Kremmling, then from Kremmling to Granby. Head north from Granby to Grand Lake
and Rocky Mountain National park.   All great Colorado scenery!  If you come
back through the week of the 12th through 16th, we have our monthly meeting on
Thurs, July 15, in Ft. Collins. You would be more than welcome to drop in and
swap a few stories!  We are also running a rallye on the 17th, if you care to
stick around for that...
Keep the updates coming, and keep the shiny side up!!
Craig Perry   '69 B

Craig Perry
(970) 221-8763
cperry@waterpik.com

>>> Larry Macy <macy@bblmail.psycha.upenn.edu> 07/06 11:40 AM >>>
Rick, Sounds like a great trip so far!! Although I must correct you. It
is "Devil's Tower" - not Table.  You should have considered going west
from Sheridan - up over the Big Horns - Down to Greybull and West to Cody
and Yellowstone. Much more scenic than driving across Montana (IMHO) The
state of WY being my old stomping grounds I could have given a few
insights if I had seen where you were going soon enough. On the return
trip might I suggest Rocky Mountain National Park as you go through
Colorado. From Grand Junction you can drive to the West (or is it south)
entrance and drive over the Longest Paved Road above timberline in the
world. About 12-13,000 feet. Simply breathtaking!!

Larry

>Yo chaps!

<SNIP>
>Our third mishap of the day happened here when the fuel pump on Dane's MGC
>failed. The Park Service kept a watchful eye on us (as did the four
>Presidents) as we did the changeover in the parking garage. We then drove up
>to Sturgis, SD with the intent of finding a burger and a beer. (No luck, but
>I did get a new Harley shirt.) We then drove up to Devil's Table, a
>fantastic
>sight at sundown. A stormfront soon came through, providing us with a great
>natural light show and a pleasant shower. We arrived at our motel in
>Sheridan, WY about midnight...about 650 miles for the day.
<SNIP2>>