Re: Hypothetical question

To: pringlmm@mcmaster.ca, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hypothetical question
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 16:19:57 EDT
pringlmm@mcmaster.ca writes:

<< 1) What would be the technical challenges of building brand new MG's (my
 preference would be for MGA's).

 2) What could you sell them for ($)

 3) Would they sell in sufficient quantity to justify it.  >>

I'll take a stab at this!  First of all, why would anyone want to build a new
40 year old car based on a 60 year old design?  Think of some of the
components, and the less expensive modern alternatives.  Especially in
suspension parts.  Why put lever shocks on a car with king pins, when you can
use tube shocks and ball joints, both of which are operationally better, easy
maintenance and less expensive.

I don't think the general, car-buying public would go for it.  To build in
quantity on a production line you have to be able to sell hundreds of
thousands of cars.  Then, you would have to convince them that an antique
design is better than a modern one.  To build for enthusiasts in small
quantities, you are building by hand at much higher cost.  (Think Morgan.)

There are some really good cars out there at low prices for people who don't
know the joy of driving an old LBC.  The Miata is a good value, and
technically is way ahead of the MGA.  (The fact that it has no soul doesn't
bother most people.)  Real enthusiast cars are still available, and more are
coming out, but the cost is higher.  Check out this new one:
http://www.strathcarron.com

Sorry, I don't think a "new" MGA will go over.  But I bet there are still
plenty out there just waiting for a resto.

Allen Hefner
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport