Re: Steering wheel removal

To: Edwin Vaughan <vaughme@mail.auburn.edu>, "'MG NUTS'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Steering wheel removal
From: Ray Wygonik <rwygonik@grove.iup.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 09:49:36 -0400
Several others have suggested running the nut out until it is even with the
steering shaft and then rapping on the nut/shaft while pulling out on the
steering wheel.  THis has worked for me numerous times.  Two people for this
job work much better than one.  Suggest you used Nut Blaster rather than
WD-40.   The first time off you may have to use what might be considered
excess force to break the wheel loose.  Be sure to coat the splines with a
good antiseize grease for future removal of the wheel.

A note of caution with all the pulling, beating, cursing, etc it is possible
to pull the shaft out of the u-joint (in the engine compartment) enough to
develop play in the steering shaft bearing/bushings.   THis happened to me.
After you get the wheel off and do whatever repairs and replace it, lossen
the nut on the collar at the u-joint and tap the steering wheel shaft back
in so the bushings are tight in the collar and there is no play in your
steering wheel.