MGB too hot?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB too hot?
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 09:53:53 -0400
Mike - and others  -

Two concerns/questions:

1) I've heard that the B prefers to run at about 190 degrees, and for that
reason we should run 190-degree thermostats year 'round.  If this is the
case, should a lot of us learn peace of mind with the needle halfway
between "N" and "H"?  I would think that it's not overheating until the
needle gets into the 'white zone' at the "H".  Accordingly, I don't worry
about present conditions just because the needle  is above "N"; the worry
is that it will keep climbing.

2) There are two different temp senders used on Bs - the second being
specified for '77 models and later.  How many of us are running around with
mismatched senders and what effect, if any, does that have on our temp
gauge readings?

TIA,

Allen

>From: Mike <mtb14@liii.com>
>
>...I determined that the "N"
>indication on my gauge means 175F...
>"H" is just above boiling (212F).  So
>I guesstimated the normal running temp of my B to be about
>190-200 since it hovers right between "N" and "H" in the
>recent 85 degree weather.  Now I have a 165F thermostat... fabricated half
>of a shroud >for my
>belt-driven cooling fan out of aluminum sheetmetal, and
>VOILA!  Closer to "N"!

         Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<
         Sinking Creek Home for Wayward MGs
         New Castle, VA 24127