Re: Fwd: Re: Steering wheel removal

To: "Terry O'Brien" <mgrepairs@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: Steering wheel removal
From: David Hill <davhill@cwcom.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 22:45:15 +0100
Hi Terry,

I frequently use boiling water to expand stuck joints because it doesn't
burn paint, trim, etc.
In this case, the steering wheel boss is a casting and the expansion
caused by the heat usually helps. Even so, just pulling the wheel at 9 &
3 won't do, you really have to give it a good thumping.
You could use a heat gun (hot air type) but care would be needed. Should
the wheel be totally immobile, you could take out the column assembly,
take out the inner column and then seat the wheel boss against a vice to
drift the inner column thru the boss. In my experience, ones so badly
stuck are rare.

Any other suggestions :-)

Dave Hill