RE: Silly Question (Front Springs)

To: "Alan Lott" <lottala@mail.auburn.edu>,
Subject: RE: Silly Question (Front Springs)
From: "Jason Dutt" <jason@markerman.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 14:41:06 -0400

> Well, the difference between 9 and 5/8" and 9.9" is only about 3/8 of 1
> inch, which means that if the ride height is changed (supposedly)
> by a full
> inch, then something else is going on here.

Perhaps, but I'm not sure of that.  A 3/8"  difference in the spring could
easily make a 1" difference it ride height.  Remember your geometry: the
location of the spring is further inside the moving axis than the tire.
Thus, a difference in the spring would yeild a greater difference on the
outside edge (wheel) of the arm.  It's a theory...I ran it by my mechanical
engineer buddy and he agrees. <g>

Are the new springs "stock" or
> did you buy springs with higher numbers (e.g. special tuning
> springs with an
> increased poundage rating)?

Yes.  They are the "blue & yellow" coded pre '75 stock springs.

Are you measuring "ride height" at the exact
> spot to be able to make an accurate comparison?

Yes.  I'm using British Automotives recommendation to measure from the
center of the wheel to the bottom of the chrome strip on the fender.

What was the "ride height"
> prior to installing the new springs?

Don't have a clue, but it was higher.  I didn't know as much then as I know
now...etc...  I had a shop do the original job (oops).

Does the fact that the ride height is
> an inch under "spec" cause any problems (e.g. clearance, bottoming, etc)?

Yes.  All of the above.  My exhaust system is about to start a revolt, and
my bump stops aren't happy about it either.  Not to mention the question of
handling and safety that goes along with a screwed up center of gravity
caused by imbalance from front to rear.

Thanks for all the feedback, folks!

=J=